Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Easy Everything Cookies

I think it is altogether appropriate that the first recipe that I share with you in this blog is also the first recipe that I ever followed. It is for my grandmother's cookie recipe, which she called Easy Everything Cookies. I use to bake these with my friend Jeannie Sanders. In fact, she converted the recipe to a half recipe version that made 4-dozen cookies instead of the original recipe which made a whopping 8-dozen. Here is the recipe in her handwriting, which I found in my grandmother's personal cookbook a few years ago. Thanks to my grandmother for this and so many other great recipes and cooking memories. Thanks to you too Jeannie, wherever you are.
   
 
 
EASY EVERYTHING COOKIES
 
OK, this isn't rocket science, these are cookies. If a twelve year old kid and his teenage girl buddy couldn't screw them up, then neither can you. So here's the scoop.. no pun.. on my oldest and favorite cookie recipe. 
 

Here's your list of ingredients: Flour, sugar, brown sugar, quick oats, salt, soda, chocolate chips (use whatever kind you like, the original recipe used semi-sweet), butter (original recipe called for oleo, which is mid-20th century for margarine... I don't use the stuff though), peanut butter, egg, vanilla and water.

 
Cream together the butter, sugars, egg, peanut butter, water and vanilla and mix well.


Next, sift together the flour, salt and soda, and gradually add these dry ingredients to the mixer bowl. I didn't get a picture of this, so take my word for it. The flour mixture goes into the wet mixture.


Then add your oats, one cup at a time.
 

 
Add the chocolate chips next... the whole bag, baby!
  
 

 
What you end up with oughta look something like this.
 

 
Drop 'em on your pan. I tend to make pretty big cookies... but I'm a pretty big guy.
 


Bake in a 350 degree oven for about fifteen minutes and they should come out looking like cookies.

 
 I came out with about three and a half dozen Big Mike's Living Large sized cookies. Some of them already got ate before I snapped this shot, though.

 


 Had to pay my son Jay his fee for shooting my blog photogs. Don't tell his momma... he ate 'em all.
 
 
 
Easy Everything Cookies a la Me & Jeannie
 
 
3/4 Cup butter or margarine
1/2 Cup sugar
1 Cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/3 Cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
1 Cup pre-sifted flour
1/2 teaspoon soda
3 Cups quick oats
1 Cup chocolate chips
1/4 Cup water
 
 
Mix softened butter, sugars, egg, peanut butter, water and vanilla in mixing bowl. Add flour, sifted with salt and soda. Add oats and then chocolate chips.
 
Drop cookies on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for up to 15 minutes. Makes 4-dozen small cookies or 3-dozen larger cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment